Corfu is famous for a number of reasons, including:
- Its stunning natural beauty. Corfu has a varied landscape, with everything from lush forests and olive groves to rugged coastlines and crystal-clear waters. The island is also home to a number of stunning beaches, including Paleokastritsa, Myrtiotissa, and Paradise Beach.
- Its rich history and culture. Corfu has been ruled by a number of different empires over the centuries, including the Venetians, the French, and the British. This has left the island with a rich and diverse cultural heritage, which can be seen in its architecture, cuisine, and traditions.
- Its cosmopolitan atmosphere. Corfu has long been a popular destination for tourists from all over the world. This has created a cosmopolitan atmosphere on the island, with a wide range of restaurants, bars, and shops to choose from.
- Its proximity to other popular destinations. Corfu is located in the Ionian Sea, close to other popular tourist destinations such as Paxos, Antipaxos, and Albania. This makes it a convenient base for exploring the region.
Here are some specific examples of what makes Corfu famous:
- The Old Fortress of Corfu: This Venetian fortress is one of the most iconic landmarks on the island. It offers stunning views of Corfu Town and the surrounding area.
- The Achillion Palace: This former summer residence of the German Emperor Wilhelm II is known for its beautiful gardens and its collection of sculptures.
- The Paleokastritsa Monastery: This Byzantine monastery is located in a stunning setting overlooking the bay of Paleokastritsa.
- The Corfu Town Liston: This elegant waterfront promenade is lined with cafes and restaurants, and it is a popular spot for people-watching.
- The Durrells TV series: This popular British TV series was filmed on Corfu, and it has helped to introduce the island to a new audience.
Overall, Corfu is a popular tourist destination because it offers a unique blend of stunning natural beauty, rich history and culture, and cosmopolitan atmosphere.
There are several ways to get from Corfu International Airport to Corfu Town. You can search for Airport Corfu Transfers and ask for price.
The most convenient option is to take a taxi. The taxi rank is located outside the airport terminal, and the journey to Corfu Town takes around 9 minutes. The cost of a taxi is around €10.
Another option is to take the bus. The bus stop is located outside the airport terminal, and the journey to Corfu Town takes around 15 minutes. The cost of a bus ticket is €1.20.
If you are on a budget, you can also walk to Corfu Town. The walk takes around 45 minutes, and it is a scenic route along the coast.
Here are the directions for driving from Corfu International Airport to Corfu Town:
- Exit the airport and turn left onto Leoforos Dimokratias.
- Follow Leoforos Dimokratias for 3.5 km.
- Turn right onto Ethnikis Antistaseos Street.
- Continue on Ethnikis Antistaseos Street for 1 km.
- Turn left onto Plateia Spianada.
- You will arrive in Corfu Town.